Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Fasnacht Day!

Faithful blog readers: I am so sorry to have kept you waiting! I have a bit of catching up to do!
We will start with our Fasnacht Day celebration. For those of you who have never heard of this, it is a Pennsylvania Dutch thing (the area of PA that we live in!) and also celebrated in a part of Switzerland. It is celebrated the day before Lent when fasnachts were made as a way to empty the pantry of lard, sugar, fat and butter which were traditionally fasted from during Lent. Sounds pretty gross, right?! I must say I don't ever remember eating a TRUE fasnacht but they're pretty much like a doughnut and every grocery store in our area sells them for this special day and plenty of churches make them as fundraisers.

I cheated and bought "real" yummy, delicious, super sweet doughnuts for us to enjoy at breakfast. I think this was actually Simon's first doughnut. He enjoyed the creamy filling and that's about it! I didn't give up anything for Lent mainly because I have zero to none will power when it comes to sweets. And to be frank I'm pregnant, who wants to give up sweets?! I keep thinking one of these years I will try to give up something. I'll just keep thinking on that for now! Did you give anything up for Lent?!


No comments:

Post a Comment