Friday, August 13, 2010

Why Simon?


How did we decide to name our child Simon Christopher other than for the reason that we liked the name? I should start by saying that I liked the name Simon as soon as I came upon it and every other name that was suggested I compared to Simon. It took Chris a little longer to agree on this name!


When I was 36 weeks pregnant, Chris and I went away for the weekend to my parent's cabin in the woods. While we were there we read about the disciple Simon Peter. Obviously Jesus renamed Simon to Peter but we really liked the characteristics of this disciple. He was bold in preaching about Jesus and a key lesson of his life was that Christians may falter at times but when they turn to Jesus, he forgives them and strengthens their faith. After our time reading about this great man named Simon we really were leaning towards this name.


The name Simon means "to hear" or "to be heard." I think our baby lives up to this when he screams and cries! When I read the meaning, though, I thought about how important it is to listen to people and hope that our little boy really "hears" people and develops a heart for people.


Even when we were in the hospital and Simon was born we still weren't 100% until we saw him, just to make sure he "looked" like a Simon! Of course we liked the idea of incorporating Christopher (after his daddy) as his middle name since he is our first son. We love that we do not know any other Simon's and that our little boy is as unique as his name!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post and love his name! I think it is great when there is a reason behind the name and your's is perfect! Thanks for sharing on how you decided. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete